April is Distracted Driving Awareness Month. In 2019, distracted driving killed more than 3,000 people. Distracted driving is a major issue on our roads. While using our cell phones tops the list, it is certainly not the only distraction. Eating, drinking, applying makeup, setting your navigation, and adjusting the radio are all distractions.
Now is the time to take responsibility for our driving habits to make the road safer for ourselves and safer for other drivers and pedestrians.
Here are some tips on how to keep your eyes on the road.
1. If you need to text, pull over at a safe location and send your message, or designate a passenger to handle your phone.
2. Do NOT scroll through your phone while you are driving. Put down your electronic devices.
3. Do not multi-task. Keep your eyes on the road and fully focus on driving.
4. Snack smart. Eat your meals and snacks before you hit the road. Avoid any messy foods that can be difficult to manage.
5. Make all adjustments before hitting the road. Set your GPS, climate control, and sound systems before departing.
6. Never drive drowsy.
7. Finish dressing and personal grooming at home, not while driving.
8. Make sure all passengers and children are secured before driving. Resist the urge to reach into the back seat. If children need your attention, pull to the side of the road.
9. If you cannot devote your full attention to driving because of some other activity, device, or people, it is a distraction! Take care of this before or after your trip, not while you are behind the wheel.
If you are using your phone while driving, you are more than five times more likely to get into an accident. Sending or reading a text message takes your eyes off the road for about five seconds. This is long enough to cover a football field while driving at 55 mph!
Your phone, food, and navigation must wait. It is not worth ruining your future, injuring someone, or killing someone—it can wait. You can help make our roads safer!
Allow us to reward your good driving habits by saving you money on your auto insurance! Call 717-886-2572, visit our website, or email us today
Your friends at Friedrich Insurance,
Erin Friedrich Horning
Facebook page: Friedrich Insurance
Read more from Friedrich Insurance: