Wondering what to take to that picnic on July 4? We have three ideas for sweet treats that are easy, delicious, and will inspire 'oohs' and 'aahs' because they'll fit the red, white, and blue theme!
Red, white, and blue layered dip
- Whipped cream
- Layer all the ingredients in a red, white, and blue pattern. (Tip: Use a piping bag or plastic bag to squeeze the whipped cream to easily layer evenly. Or a spoon will do ya too!
Tie dye or multi-color cupcakes are popular, and with good reason — they are fun and fairly simple to make! We created some red, white, and blue cupcakes that are perfect for the 4th of July!
- White cupcake mix, prepared as stated on the box
- Red and blue food coloring
- Small bowls & spoons (for each color)
- Cupcake wrappers
- White icing or frosting
- Red, silver, and blue sprinkles
- Red, white, and blue candy (We used rock candy and Twizzlers cut into pieces and separated)
- Piping bags and decorating tips
- Line cupcake pans with cupcake wrappers.
- Prepare batter and divide evenly into 3 small bowls.
- Put a few drops of blue food coloring in one bowl of batter and a few drops of red into another bowl of batter and mix well.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners, equal parts red, white, and blue.
- Bake as directed on box and set aside to cool.
- Once cupcakes are cool, use white icing and sprinkles/candy to decorate them.
These patriotic s' mores are PERFECT for July 4th BBQs, Flag Day picnics, and Labor Day celebrations. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, they are good for any occasion! Just switch up the color of the chocolate candies to fit any theme.
- Graham crackers
- Marshmallow Fluff
- Chocolate candies
- Spread marshmallow fluff on a graham cracker.
- Top with chocolate candies.
- Eat as is, or microwave for a few seconds to get it melty and gooey.
A version of this story originally appeared in Macaroni Kid EATS.